What is a dental cleaning?
A dental cleaning is a type of preventive care used to prevent gum disease and other oral health issues. During this procedure, a trained dental hygienist uses special tools to remove tartar and plaque from your teeth.
What happens during a dental cleaning?
During your dental cleaning, you’ll will lie comfortably in a chair while the hygienist removes the tartar and plaque from your teeth. Your hygienist will also floss, polish, and review oral hygiene care for your teeth.
Most dental cleanings also include a comprehensive examination of your teeth. During this part of the appointment, Dr. Kraft will look for signs of gum disease, cavities, and other issues she may need to treat. If she finds any problems with your teeth, she’ll recommend treatment options.
Are cleanings painful?
Dental cleanings are considered routine care. For most of the procedure, the dental hygienist will be working on the surfaces of your teeth, so pain is unlikely. However, if you have sensitive gums or teeth, you may have some discomfort during the cleaning. If this occurs, Dr. Kraft can use a local or topical anesthetic to prevent discomfort.
How much will a dental cleaning cost?
If you have a dental insurance policy, your cleaning may be partially or fully covered, and you will not need to pay for it yourself. However; if you don’t have dental insurance, you will need to pay for the cleaning out-of-pocket. To find out how much your cleaning will cost, please contact the office for assistance.
How often do patients need a dental cleaning?
Most patients should have a dental cleaning once every six months. However, if you have missed several cleanings, you may need to come in more frequently for a few months until you are caught up.
Children should begin seeing Dr. Kraft for dental cleanings shortly after their first teeth appear to foster good habits from an early age.
The Importance of Regular Dental Cleanings and Exams
Healthy smiles begin at home with regular brushing and flossing. However, regular dental cleanings and exams are also a vital part of preventive dental care. If you’re looking for dental cleanings in Brooklyn Heights, Dr. Aimee Kraft and the rest of our team can help.
Dr. Kraft provides dental cleanings and exams for patients of all ages.
How Often Should You See Your Dentist?
The standard recommendation for dental visits is once every six months or twice a year. Most dental insurance plans will cover two annual visits. However, Dr. Kraft might recommend a dental cleaning more often under certain circumstances, such as:
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy’s fluctuating hormones can put expectant patients at greater risk for cavities and gum disease.
- You’re diabetic: Diabetes can contribute to gum disease and other oral health problems.
- You smoke: Using tobacco can lead to gum disease and make it more difficult for your body to heal after some dental procedures.
- You‘re a cancer patient: Some cancer medications can dry out the mouth and make you more susceptible to oral health problems.
Every patient is different, and Dr. Kraft will always give you a thorough examination and assess your health before recommending more frequent dental visits.
Benefits of a Dental Cleaning
So, why are regular dental cleanings so important? The truth is, the benefits go way beyond cavity prevention. Some of the top benefits include:
- Preventing a host of health problems. Your oral health is linked to your overall health. From heart disease to diabetes, dental cleanings can help you prevent developing several conditions.
- Prevention of tooth loss.
- Prevention of periodontitis and gingivitis (gum disease).
- Maintaining a bright smile.
- Prevention of chronic halitosis. Poor oral hygiene is a top contributor of bad breath, and regular dental cleanings can help you stay on top of it.
- Saving money in the long run. Dental cleanings often prevent expensive dental problems down the road.
What to Expect During a Routine Dental Cleaning
Many people experience anxiety before visiting the dentist, but knowing what to expect can help. The process for dental cleanings is fairly simple and includes an oral examination (and X-rays if you’re due for them), a thorough cleaning of your teeth and gums, professional flossing, and a check-up from Dr. Kraft. Dr. Kraft will also advise you on anything you could be doing differently to maintain your oral health.
Schedule a Dental Cleaning With Dr. Aimee Kraft
Dr. Aimee Kraft has over a decade of experience in her field, and she offers dental cleanings and exams to patients of all ages. To schedule an appointment with our team, call our Brooklyn office today at (718) 625-6629 or schedule a visit here.